Bay Adelaide Centre 333 Bay Street,
Suite 2900 PO Box 2900
Toronto, Ontario M5H 2T4 Canada
Contacts: Wendy Reed and Catherine Bate
Tel: +416.360.3542 (WR)
Tel: +416.643.6875 (CB)
Heenan Blaikie is one of the few firms in Canada with concentrated expertise in marketing and advertising law. Our experience covers a diverse range of products and services, including food and beverage products, alcohol, textiles, hazardous products, drugs, medical devices, broadcasting, and telecommunications.
We regularly advise on a range of promotional programs, including contests, games, sweepstakes, consumer and trade incentives, and loyalty programs. We review packaging and labeling as well as proposed advertising for all media, to ensure compliance with federal and provincial laws and an array of industry and governmental guidelines, including contest registration and French language issues in Quebec. We also assist clients in pursuing and defending both competitive challenges and regulatory challenges.
Heenan Blaikie has approximately 600 lawyers in 9 offices across Canada, including in Ontario, Quebec, Alberta and British Columbia. Our Marketing and Advertising group is supported by a national team of litigators, corporate/commercial lawyers, privacy lawyers, entertainment and communication law lawyers, and IP lawyers and patent and trade-mark agents. Our national presence across the country enables us to provide national, regional and provincial solutions for our clients.
Articles & News:
September 2013: GALA is a Supporting Sponsor of the 35th Annual BAA / PMA Law Conference, Chicago, IL on November 18-20, 2013. In addition, there will be a GALA panel at this event along with several other individual speakers.
- The GALA panel, Going Global: How to Run Promotions Around the World, will be moderated by Brinsley Dresden (UK) whose firm is a sponsor of the event. The panelists will include Danie Strachan (South Africa), Irina Anyukhina (Russia), Michel Bejot (France), Soren Pietzcker (Germany), Justina Zhang (China) and Ariela Agosin (Chile).
- Adam Kardash (Canada) will participate as a speaker on a panel about Social Media: Hot Button Issues for Breakthrough & Legally Compliant Programs. Her firm, Heenan Blaikie, is a Supporting (Coffee Break) Sponsor.
- Jeff Greenbaum (USA - FK) will moderate a breakout session on Complying with the dot.com Disclosures. His firm is also a Platinum Sponsor of the event.
- Ron Urbach (USA - Davis & Gilbert), whose firm is also a Platinum Sponsor of the event, is speaking on The Most Important Advertising Cases & Developments of 2013.
- John Feldman (USA - Reed Smith), whose firm is a Supporting Sponsor of the event, will moderate a breakout session panel on Kids Marketing: The Expanding Reach and Role of COPPA / CARU
- Rick Kurnit (USA - FK) will speak in a Breakout Session Is It Entertainment or Advertising? Bad Facts/Bad Law
- Joseph Lewczak (USA - Davis & Gilbert) moderate a session on Legal Problem Solving
June 2013: On June 21st, Felix Hofer (Italy) and Wendy Reed (Canada) participated in a Webinar run by the ABA Section of Antitrust Law and Canadian Bar Association on Green Marketing Around the Globe. December 2012: Gazette News: Significant Developments In Canadian Advertising Law, by: Sara Perry, Bridget McIlveen, & Wendy Reed, Heenan Blaikie LLP
August 2012: GALA Members to speak at The 34th Annual Promotion Marketing Association Law Conference, Chicago, IL on November 13-14, 2012.
Ron Urbach (USA - Davis & Gilbert), whose firm is also a Platinum Sponsor of the event, is speaking on Today's Consumer & Consumer Marketplace.
- Allison Fitzpatrick (USA - Davis & Gilbert) will run a Spotlight Session on Advertising IP and the New Media.
- Terri Seligman (USA - FKKS) will moderate a session on Social Media & Marketing - Creating Campaigns for Facebook, Pinterest, Tumblr. Twitter & Other Platforms. Her firm is also a Platinum Sponsor of the event.
- Brinsley Dresden (United Kingdom) will participate as a panelist on a session about Sports Marketing - from Ambush Marketing to League Negotiations. Lewis Silkin will also have a Tabletop at the event.
- John Feldman (USA - Reed Smith), whose firm is a Supporting Sponsor of the event, will moderate a panel on Crossing the Dateline: International Promotions. Soren Pietzcker (Germany) will be a panelist.
- Wendy Reed (Canada) will participate as a speaker on a panel about Greener Pastures: Successful Environmental Marketing with the New Rules. Her firm, Heenan Blaikie, is a Supporting Sponsor.
- Rick Kurnit (USA - FKKS) will speak in a Breakout Session Apparantley Transparent? Branded Entertainment Disclosure and Regulation of Endorsements.
- Joseph Lewczak (USA - Davis & Gilbert) and Jeffrey Greenbaum (USA - FKKS) will speak on a panel Monday Mourning: What Can Go Legally Wrong With Your Promotion.
August 2012: GALA Members to speak at NAD/CARU Annual Conference in New York City on October 1-3, 2012
Ronald Urbach (USA - Davis & Gilbert), whose firm is also a sponsor of the event is moderating a panel "Third Screen: Digital Disclosures and #Challenges." His colleague, Allison Fitzpatrick (USA - Davis & Gilbert), will also speak on "Toy Advertising Isn't Child's Play."
Brinsley Dresden (United Kingdom) will speak on "Around the World in…75 Minutes: A Look at Global Advertising Challenges and Self-Regulation."
- Heenan Blaikie LLP (Canada) is a sponsor of the event.
July 2012: GALA Members Alison Fitzpatrick (USA -Davis & Gilbert), Juan Carlos Uribe (Colombia) and Wendy Reed (Canada) to speak at the ACI's Advertising in the Digital Age: An Intense Focus on Sweepstakes, Promotions & Social Media, on September 10-13, 2012 in New York
July 2012: Wendy Reed recently spoke on Green & the Power of Social Media at the Carbon Economy Summit in Toronto on June 6, 2012 November 2011: GALA Members to speak at The Canadian Institute's 18th Annual Advertising and Marketing Law Conference on January 25-25, 2012 in Toronto. GALA is also a Media Partner fort his event.
Douglas J. Wood (USA-RS) will speak on Are you Ready for What Might be Next? Learning from Our Neighbors in the South
Cathy Bate and Sara Perry (Canada) will run a Pre-Program Advertising Law Intensive: The 'Everything You Need to Know Program for Lawyers Practicing Today'
September 2011: LA Members to speak at The 33rd Annual Promotion Marketing Association Law Conference ( www.pmalink.org/law2011), Chicago, IL on November 15 & 16, 2011.
- Ron Urbach (USA, Davis & Gilbert), whose firm is also a Platinum Sponsor of the event is speaking on Exploring the Rapidly Changing Commercial and Legal Landscape
- Joseph Lewczak (USA, Davis & Gilbert) will moderate a Breakout Session on Ambush Marketing, in which Brinsley Dresden (UK) will participate as a panelist.
- Mark Oesterle (USA, Reed Smith) will speak on Challenges to Marketers Posed by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
- Allison Fitzpatrick (USA, Davis & Gilbert) will run an Expert Roundtable on the Mechanics of Conducting Social Media Promotions
- Cathy Bate (Canada) will run an Expert Roundtable on The Laws of Canada
- Jeffrey Greenbaum (USA, Frankfurt Kurnit) will moderate the Breakout Session Green Speak: Environmental Marketing on which Wendy Reed (Canada) will be a panelist.
- Rick Kurnit (USA, Frankfurt Kurnit) will moderate a session on Intellectual Property and the Right of Publicity
- GALA Members Reed Smith LLP (USA, Reed Smith), Frankfurt Kurnit Klein & Selz PC (USA, Frankfurt Kurnit) and Heenan Blaikie (Canada) are all Supporting Sponsors of the event.
March 2011: GALA members Giles Crown (UK), Mark Davis (Canada) and Jeffrey A.Greenbaum (United States - FK) to participate in a panel at the American Conference Institute's Advanced IP Forum for Advertising Counsel . The event will be held in New York City on April 27-28, 2011. Jeff will moderate the panel and Giles and Mark will speak on China, the EU and Canada: Defending your Intellectual Property Against the Risks of a Global Advertising Campaign.
January 2011: GALA Members to speak at Association of National Advertisers Advertising Law & Public Policy Conferencein Washington, DC on March 15 & 16, 2011.
- Douglas J. Wood (USA, Reed Smith), GALA Chairman and ANA General Counsel will Chair the Conference and will also present on SAG / AFTRA Developments.
- Rick Kurnit (USA, Frankfurt Kurnit), will speak on The Right of Publicity in Brand Integration
- Brinsley Dresden (UK), Irina Anyukhina (Russia), Ricardo Antequera (Venezuela) and Erich Bachmann (New Zealand) will present an exclusive GALA panel on Global Advertising Clearance in A Digital World"
- Ronald Urbach (USA, Davis & Gilbert), whose firm is also a lead sponsor of the event is speaking on Collateral Consequences
- John Feldman (USA, Reed Smith) will speak on Green Marketing
- Jeffrey Greenbaum (USA, Frankfurt Kurnit), Felix Hofer (Italy), Peter LeGuay (Australia) and John Salloum (Canada) will participate in the final conference sessionPutting it All Together: New Media and the Future of Advertising
October 2010: Gazette news: Canada introduces broad new anti-spam bill
December 2009: Canada’s extensive new consumer product safety act passed – time to get into gear, by Wendy Reed & Catherine Bate, Heenan Blaikie October 2009: From Canada: Child's play? Advertising to children in Canada, by Catherine Bate and Wendy Reed, Heenan Blaikie
Text of an article originally published in Young Consumers, published by Emerald Group Publishing Limited
September 2009: GALA Members Wendy Reed (Canada) & Brinsley Dresden (UK) to speak on Environmental Marketing at the PMA's 31st Annual Promotion Marketing Law Conference in Chicago on November 5-6, 2009. Bill C-47: Tackling ambush marketing in Canada in the Olympic context